5.23.2014

Happy Anniversary Weekend to Us!

Happy 2nd Anniversary weekend to my best friend, the father of my future children (hopefully), and Gavin's step-dad! 

Our anniversary is actually on Monday the 26th, but since everyone is celebrating Memorial Day all weekend, I plan to celebrate our anniversary all weekend! I have a feeling our 3rd year of marriage has a lot of surprises and excitement in store for us! I cannot wait to see what God places in our paths this year. 

To this day, I still enjoy looking back and reading our engagement story. I'm so glad I documented it! I actually read it again last night when I was having trouble sleeping. ha! Looking back on the 3 years we have been together - 2 of which we have been married- we have been through a lot together. Trey was my shoulder to cry on when my cousin, who was more like my big brother, passed away on April 23, 2011 in a car accident. Trey and I had only been dating for maybe 3 weeks, but he still held me as I cried and listened when all I wanted to do was cry and question "Why?".  A few months later, my 26th birthday rolled around. He went above and beyond to make my birthday the best birthday ever. I felt so loved, and I knew I would make him my husband one day. Trey was by my side last year when I lost my great-aunt and Pa all within 4 months of each other. 

On Saturday, May 26, 2012 I became his wife and our life together truly began. I woke up SO early the morning of our wedding! I was so ready to get to the church and start working on last minute things. Shortly after I arrived at the church, I was surrounded by my bridesmaids as we got ready together. We had breakfast together. My best friend since 4th grade did my hair. My maid of honor did my make-up. It was just a fun morning. I was so nervous and ready to see Trey though. Our photographer gently nudged us to see each other before the ceremony so we could get most of our pictures out of the way and could have more time at the reception. I walked into the auditorium of the church and saw Trey standing at the altar with his back to me. The tears started streaming before I was even halfway down the aisle. I was about to marry this man. When I made it to the end of the aisle, he turned around, and smiled the biggest smile. It was the same smile he had on his face the night he proposed to me. I had never felt so loved, so happy, so at home before that very moment. I was about to become his wife. This amazing, loving, Christian man was about to be my husband. I cannot imagine where I would be or who I would be today if God had not placed Trey into my life. I sometimes feel like I am so unworthy of the love and support I receive from Trey. He has made me a better person. He is my best friend and will be the father to my children one day. 

Rachel fixing my hair. 
Putting on my make-up


My amazing, gorgeous bridesmaids. 
My favorite face. 
Our First Look 
The Ceremony 
Man and Wife and my sweet little boy.  

I cannot talk about our marriage without mentioning our fight to bring our children into this world. When our battle really began in the fall of 2012, we knew what we were up against. We focused on communicating openly with each other. I had to learn that I was handling the situation differently than Trey and that was Ok. I had to learn to lean on him on my weak days. There were so many times he would send me random text messages that would say, "I love you more today than I did yesterday. We will have a baby one day. It just isn't time yet." There were a few times I even told him I was sorry I couldn't make him a daddy. Through tear filled eyes I would say stuff I didn't mean. I would beg him to just let me give up. He knew deep down inside I didn't want to give up and I wasn't finished fighting. He always encouraged me and held me on my weak days. 


Looking back, I'm thankful for our infertility journey. I'm thankful God showed me how important it is to spend as much time with my children as possible. I'm thankful God finally showed me NO JOB is more important than blowing bubbles in the front yard on a warm, spring day. I know Trey and I will appreciate each and every moment with our children more now that we have fought so hard to bring them into the world. We have a stronger marriage thanks to the challenges we have faced. We are closer to God. We are closer to each other. So here's to our 2nd anniversary and the beginning of our 3rd year of marriage. I love you, Trey Bell. Thank you for the best 2 years of my life. 

** Photo Credits to Stacy Preston Photography

4 comments: